d. a. kinsella company is an architectural design firm and general contractor based in Billerica, MA. Our architectural and construction management practice was founded in 1990 by David A. Kinsella, our principal architect. He knew he wanted to be an architect straight out of high school. Our practice was designed with the premise that anyone in need of design services should have access to it. The combination of design and construction that our team offers differentiates us from our competitors.
David A. Kinsella—Principal Architect
Mr. Kinsella has been responsible for a variety of high and low-rise residential multi-family projects with construction values ranging from $10,000 to $20 million. Projects which have been funded by HUD, through Hope VI funding initiatives, federal and state tax credit, community block development grants, Massachusetts housing finance, Massachusetts housing and community development. Projects have ranged in scope from high-rise construction consisting of a mixed use of 400 units of housing, a parking garage, and retail space, to recent work including the redevelopment of a four-story historic row house and a historic hotel.
Similar past projects which Mr. Kinsella has been involved with include the renovation of Franklin Park Housing, the renovation of Pennypacker and Hurlbut Halls at Harvard University, 194 Middle Street, Lowell, and the conversion of the FM Hoyt Shoe Company to market-rate lofts. Mr. Kinsella has held primary responsibility for design planning, execution of document preparation, management of architectural teams (of 9 persons) bid phase services, construction administration of projects from 150,000 to $10 million, and management of multiple design projects simultaneously.
Other project-type experience has included:
Other skills that Mr. Kinsella has developed include marketing, project management, cost control, value engineering, and construction supervision. Mr. Kinsella has worked on multiple disciplinary team projects as large as $300 Million.
He has designed a diverse number of projects over the past 26 years which included new or renovated:
- Churches, temples, and fellowship halls.
- Civic including courthouses, post offices, banks.
- Daycare for both children and adults.
- Feasibility studies for 400,000 SF multi-use mill building, central power plant, community buildings, and religious education.
- Food services, such as commercial kitchens, food retailers (candy, bakery, and fruit), and restaurants.
- Infrastructure such as accessible train stations, light rail, and operation control.
- Mani-pedi and waxing salons.
- Mental health clinics, laboratory space, pharmaceutical facilities.
- Multifamily housing, apartments, and low rise and high-rise housing.
- Office buildings and fit-up of office space.
- Recording studios, control rooms, sound booths, and radio stations.
- Retail such as strip malls.
- Single-family homes.
- Schools including elementary and dance.
- Zoo and Aquarium exhibit.
Registered Architect with over 35 years of experience. Licensed in CT, MA, NH, NJ USA with licensing capability in any State in the USA and Canada, since 1988. I have held national certification from NCARB since 1992 which allows reciprocity in any jurisdiction in North America.
My professional training was performed in Boston, Massachusetts where I obtained my secondary education and presently hold the following degrees:
- 1988 Bachelor of Architecture, Boston Architectural College
- 1984 Bachelor of Fine Arts, Massachusetts College of Art and Design
- 1981 Associate in Architectural Engineering, Wentworth Institute of Technology
- Nominee for Governors Award
- Nominee, Mullar Scholarship
- Finalist-Stephan Bradley Scholarship in College
- Thesis Commend, 1989
- Work has been featured in the Lowell Sun, Billerica and Bedford Minuteman, Boston Herald, Channel 4 news.
- Best period restoration Winchester Historical Society
- Elected Official
- I served as an elected official to our town Planning Board for 2 3 year terms from which I decided to not run again.
- I served on the Historic District Commission for a 5-year term from1993-1996
- Historic Committee for 10 years during which I initiated, inventoried, and applied for historic designation of 3 distinct districts in our community. Member, 1988-1993
- My volunteer work includes teaching for 2 terms for the Citizen’s Schools of Lowell,
- Design of a shelter of the Kids Connection Playground and a roller blade rink
- Thousands of dollars of donations for children in need of reading materials in the inner city; sponsoring: DARE, PAL, MADD, MA State Troopers activities.
- The Billerica Historic Preservation Corporation, Board Of Directors, 1993-1994
- Town of Billerica Planning Board Member 2010-2016